sigsbee[1].gif (29099 bytes) Capt. Charles D. Sigsbee                     SailorBlack.jpg (30010 bytes) 

usf2.gif (10730 bytes)USS SIGSBEE DD-502 usf2.gif (10730 bytes)

goldlink.gif (1976 bytes)

Namesake: Rear Admiral Charles D. Sigsbee USN, who was Captain of the Maine at the time of her loss.  He was then Captain of the USS St. Paul from 5 May 1998 until the end of the Spanish American War.

 Sigsbee (DD-502) was laid down on 22 July 1942 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N.J.; launched on 7 December 1942, sponsored by Mrs. A.O. Fischer; and commissioned on 23 January 1943, Comdr. B.V. Russell in command.

 Sigsbee completed outfitting three weeks later and sailed to Casco Bay, Me., for 10 days of gunnery and torpedo practice before sailing to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to complete her shakedown.  She returned to the Navy Yard Brooklyn, for post shakedown overhaul.  Upon completion, the destroyer escorted Birmingham (CL-62) to Norfolk.  On 4 April, she escorted two tankers to Casco Bay and returned. Next was an escort trip with Independence (CVL-22) and Guest (DD-472) to Trinidad, B.W.I., where the carrier trained her air group.  Upon her return to Norfolk, Sigsbee refueled and with Guest and Earle (DD-635) escorted Lexington (CV-16) to Trinidad arriving on 16 May.

 On 8 June, the destroyer was detached from the group and proceeded independently to New York.  Sigsbee operated between New York , Casco Bay, and Norfolk until 22 July.  On that date, the destroyer, with Harrison (DD-573), Daly (DD-519), and Lexington, stood out of Norfolk en route to Pearl Harbor via the Panama Canal.  The canal was transited on 27 July, and Sigsbee arrived at Pearl Harbor on 9 August.

 In mid-August, Sigsbee joined the task group built around carriers Yorktown (CV-10), Essex (CV-9), and Independence (CV-22) commanded by Rear Admiral C.A. Pownall for raids against Marcus Island in which considerable damage was done to enemy installations.   Sigsbee returned to Pearl Harbor on 8 September 1943.

 Sigsbee was off Wake Island three weeks later and participated in the bombardment of that island on 5 October.

 On 21 October, the destroyer stood out of Pearl Harbor en route to Efate, New Hebrides.   She arrived on 5 November and spent the next two weeks in training with transports.  On 13 November, Sigsbee sortied with Task Unit (TU) 53.1.4 for the Gilbert Islands.  On 22 and 23 November, she bombarded Betio, Tarawa Atoll.   She then returned to Pearl Harbor on 14 December for a yard availability period.

On 22 January 1944, Sigsbee sailed out of Pearl Harbor with Task Force (TF) 52 to participate in the assault and capture of Kwajalein, Marshall Islands.  The destroyer bombarded Ennylabegan Island on the morning of 31 January and, that evening, Sigsbee and Ringgold (DD-500) entered the lagoon to protect American shipping and provide call-fire for troops ashore.  The destroyer remained in the Marshall Islands until 1 March when she departed for Efate.  Sigsbee sortied from there on 20 March, with TF 37 to participate in the bombardment of Kavieng, New Ireland.

In April, Sigsbee patrolled the entrance to Humboldt Bay until the 26th when she screened a convoy to Cape Cretin.  On 13 May Commander Gordon P. Chung-Hoon USN, relieved Commander Russell as commanding officer.  After patrolling in the Guadalcanal area for several weeks, Sigsbee joined TU 53.1.14 to take part in the Mariana Islands campaign.  The destroyer bombarded the Guam beaches during the period 16 to 18 July as well as covering the underwater demolition teams on the beaches.  She then joined the picket screen and remained off Guam until 3 August. Sigsbee returned to Humboldt Bay for a month and then joined TF 77, proceeded to Morotai Island, North Moluceas, andprovided fire support for the landings on Cape Podangi in mid-September.

 Sigsbee returned to Humboldt Bay and was assigned to TF 78.  The force sortied on 3 October for the assault and landings on Leyte, P.I., on the 20th.  After the invasion, the destroyer sailed for San Francisco and an overhaul, arriving there on 15 November 1944.  Sigsbee was back in Pearl Harbor on 19 January 1945 and then sailed for Ulithi where she joined TF 58.

 On 16 February, the task force launched air strikes against Japan and Okinawa in support of the landings on Iwo Jima.  On 14 March, the fast carriers and Sigsbee again steamed out of Ulithi for air strikes against the Japanese home islands to neutralize the airfields in preparation for the forthcoming assault on Okinawa.  The destroyer then joined the picket ships off that island and remained there until 14 April.  On that date, the destroyer was struck aft of her number five gun by a suicide plane. The port engine was knocked out of commission, the starboard engine could only be run at five knots, steering was lost, and much of the main deck was awash.

Sigsbee was towed back to Guam by the ocean going tug Munsee, where she was sufficiently repaired to enable her to make the voyage to Pearl Harbor.  The destroyer arrived there on 17 June and had a complete new 60-foot stern installed. On 20 June 1945, Commander H.A. Barnard, Jr. USN, relieved Commander G.P. Chung-Hoon  Ready for sea again, the ship sailed out of port on 28 September en route to the east coast of the United States. On 22 October, she arrived at Philadelphia.  The following week the ship was moved to Charleston to prepare for inactivation. On Nov. 3rd Commander Barnard was relieved by Commander C.W. Jenkins, USN.

On 1 May 1946, the destroyer was placed in commission, in reserve.  On 31 March 1947, Sigsbee was placed in reserve, out of commission with the reserve Atlantic Reserve Fleet. The 502 was stricken 1 December 1974 and sold for scrap in 1974.

For the RECORD

Sigsbee as a member of Destroyer Squadron 25 and DESDIV 50 ( Ringgold DD-500, Schroeder DD- 501, Sigsbee DD-502, and Dashiell DD-659)

Shore Bombardments – 6 Wake, Tarawa, Kwajalein, Kavieng, Guam, and Morotai

Enemy planes shot down – 4

Air and other personnel rescued a sea – 24 pilots, 8 aircrew

Times under surface ship attack - 0

Surface craft sunk – 0

Times under air attack – 50

Times under shore battery attack – 5

Mines sunk or detonated – 8

Operations as OTC or Flagship – 6  1 UDT, 5 Picket Line

Days as radar picket – 17

Miles Steamed – 147,658

Longest period at sea – 37

Fueling at sea – 50

Casualties – 23 dead as result of kamikaze hit, 68 wounded. One man lost overboard in Atlantic area.

      anchorbutton[1].gif (433 bytes) Back to DesRon   anchorbutton[1].gif (433 bytes) Back to History Page  anchorbutton[1].gif (433 bytes) Back to Main Page